What You May Need

Below are some items you may need to get your business off the ground. Please check sources directly for the latest information and feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We're here to help!

Business License
The City of Pacific Grove requires all businesses operating within the City limits to obtain a business license and pay business license tax prior to commencing business operations. To apply for a license, visit the City of Pacific Grove HDL website.

Seller's Permit
If you sell tangible personal property, retail or wholesale, you are required to obtain a Seller's Permit (Retail Sales Tax Number) from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) for the purpose of collecting and reporting sales tax to the State of California. This seller's permit is required before your business license will be released. To obtain a Seller's Permit, visit the CDTFA website.

CDTFA - State Sales and Use, Alcohol, and other Taxes
The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) administers California's sales and use, fuel, tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis taxes, as well as a variety of other taxes and fees that fund specific state programs. Register for permits and licenses, and file and report on their website.

Sales and Fictitious Business Name Statements or Doing Business As (DBA)
You must file a Fictitious Business Name Statement with the Monterey County Clerk's office if you choose a business name that does not include your own last name. Contact the County Clerk’s office at (831) 755-5041 or visit their website.

Federal Employer Identification Number
If your business is organized as a corporation or partnership, or if you engage or plan to engage employees, you will need a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) for the purpose of withholding FICA taxes and Social Security taxes. A FEIN is required even if your business has no employees. To obtain a FEIN, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at (800) 829-1040 or visit their website

State Employer Identification Number
If your business is organized as a corporation or partnership in the State of California, or if you engage or plan to engage employees in the State of California, you will need a State Employer Identification Number (SEIN) for the purpose of withholding State Income Tax, Disability and Unemployment Insurance. To contact the State Employment Development Department - Division of Audits, call (888) 745-3886 or visit their website.

State Franchise Tax Board
If you intend to have employees within the State of California or to obtain a Form 540 to estimate State Withholding Tax for yourself, contact the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) at (800) 852-5711 or visit their website.

Alcoholic Beverage Control Licenses
If your business will be selling or serving alcoholic beverages, contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board  by phone at (831) 755-1990 or visits their website.

Health Permit
A Health Permit is required for food handling including cottage foods, permanent make-up, tattooing or body piercing. Contact the Monterey County Health Department at (831) 755-4500 or visit their website.

Additional Permits
The CalGold website, www.calgold.ca.gov, is a comprehensive website that assists business owners in finding the appropriate permit information for their business. It also provides contact information for the various agencies that administer and issue permits, including those for cities, counties, and various other departments.

Liability and Workers' Compensation Insurance
To obtain information regarding Liability and Workers' Compensation Insurance requirements, contact your local insurance agenda or the California Department of Insurance(800) 927-4357 or visit their website.

Storm Water Discharge Compliance
Senate Bill 205 which went into effect on January 1, 2020 requires certain new and existing businesses to comply with the State Water Discharge regulations. Contact the State water Board at 1-(866)-563-3107 or visit their website.

Disability Access Compliance
Federal and state law which applies to California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. Please contact the City’s Building Official at (831) 648-3191 or any of the following agencies: